Recently I was leaving work when a Daxko Team Member (name withheld to protect the innocent) approached. Since I work on the People Team, I assumed this person had a need or issue on their mind. Imagine my surprise when he said he just stopped me to say, “Thank you.” I was speechless (which is rare for me…just ask anyone who knows me). But it was a moment that made my day.
He wanted to express appreciation for the work I do and to say that I am a valuable team member. It was a great way to end my day! This not only made me feel good though, it was also a great reminder that a sincere “thank you” at work can pay great dividends. So, let’s break it down:
- Cost = 0 dollars and minimal time.
- Benefits = more engaged team members, positive reinforcement of desired behaviors, and making someone’s day!
What does it take?
- Willingness to look for people doing something right (and not just catch them doing something wrong);
- Purposefully reaching out to that person (verbally, via a quick note, etc);
- Being sincere. Tell them why you are thanking them so they know you mean it.
- Don’t do it every day, but do it often enough. If you do it all the time, it loses it’s meaning to the person. But if it is so rare that spotting a UFO seems more likely, then you aren’t getting the benefits mentioned above as often as you could.
Daxko gives great, more formal awards as a way for the company to recognize excellent performance, but it is hard to beat a thoughtful, purposeful and genuine expression of thanks from someone you work with every day.
Who can you thank today?