CultureLife at Daxko

Snowpocalypse @Daxko – Cont’d

By January 31, 2014 No Comments

Chris K. D. (Daxko Engage)

After leaving Daxko around 11 a.m. Tuesday morning, I traveled down Lakeshore Drive and Columbiana Road to the elementary school where my girlfriend works. Five hours and multiple panic attacks later, I reached the school. My gas light went on four separate times during the drive, hence the panic, but my car never quit. Snowpocalypse has cemented my faith in Honda Civics. I ended up having to spend the night at the elementary school on an air mattress. I ate three school cafeteria meals of pizza, breakfast foods, and chicken fingers. The next day, the principal’s husband, who has a large pickup with four-wheel drive, drove us to my girlfriend’s aunt and uncle’s home in Vestavia. Before we got there, we dropped off another teacher whose family kindly gave us hot chocolate and clothes to outfit us for the rest of our journey. We were a mile and a half away from my girlfriend’s family’s house when we came to a street overflowing with cars. The road was blocked and completely impassable. We were forced to walk 3/4 of a mile before a family mercifully picked us up and drove us the rest of the way. Once we arrived at my girlfriend’s aunt and uncle’s house, we spent the night eating dinner, swapping stories, and watching Downton Abbey and Cool Tools, glad to be safe and have real food.


Kim (People)

Funny things happened at this part time job fair at UAB.  We had only been set up a few minutes and had just begun talking to prospects when I spoke to CJ and heard about the weather issues.  We were in a place with no windows, so we had no clue things had gotten so bad. We were told the job fair was being cancelled, and we began to pack everything up.

We had to leave in a hurry so we left our items and began the snowy/icy trek back to our cars.  I made it to the parking deck, but in the hour it took to drive down the deck, I heard a million nightmare stories on the radio about bad wrecks and miserable road conditions. I decided to find a spot and stay in the parking deck.  I needed to find a place to stay, but since cell phones weren’t working well, it took a while to reach anyone. I ended up learning that my brother was at his job at UAB’s hospital via Facebook with my mom.  I eventually managed to speak to him, and decided to walk the several blocks to his location.  I gathered everything I might need and headed out.

I wasn’t the only “refugee” there. During my two night stay in various hospital waiting rooms (where I slept on chairs pushed together with a blanket from my car and a bootie sock for an eye mask), I talked to some very nice people who also got caught unaware as well as several who were there for family members who had serious health conditions. It was nice to have a “survivor” group to get through the adventure with.

Because of where my car was in UAB and the fact that I live in Helena, I did not feel safe trying to leave until Thursday.  I finally made it home at noon on Thursday.  I was (and am) very sore and sadly in need of sleep and good food, though the UAB hospital did the best they could with dwindling supplies!  I was so glad to arrive home safely and find the comforts of home once again!  And, good news, the job fair we had aimed to attend will be rescheduled!


 Lisa (Marketing)

Didn’t make it to Y Cross today, but my 3.5 mile trek pushing a stroller in the snow more than made up for it!

I had to abandon my car, but luckily I was very close to home. However, I still had to get to my nugget at daycare. I swung by home, got a stroller, some blankets, and other supplies, and then made the 3.5 mile trek through a lot of icy hills to get Patrick and bring him home.

Leave a Reply