In our recent visit to Dreamforce 2010 as part of our professional development allowance, some fellow Daxko teammates and I got to mix and mingle with the finest marketing brains out there. For me personally, I heard from the New York Times’ SEO and SEM strategist, got tips from Virgin America’s social media expert, and learned what Sprint is doing to enhance their data. Big time brands? Sure. But I was surprised to see that while there was much to learn from these companies, Daxko could relate really, really well.
In thumbing through my conference notes, I came across several gems—quirky quotes I’d written down and starred because they seemed very Daxkoesque. We’ll call them: words to live by, Daxko-style.
- “Like is the new link.”
Search engines are taking social cues. When it comes to Google rankings and analytics, a Facebook “like” or retweet on Twitter involving a link to your website is proving increasingly as important as other referral links to your site. So, let’s keep those thumbs up for Daxko coming!
- “Bad data is like stinky laundry.”
This one’s a no-brainer: having oodles of data is great for business, but only if that data is well-maintained and updated regularly.
- “Bake social into everything you do.”
Daxko does this well, but there’s always room for more cooks in the kitchen!
- “Fish where the fish are.”
Know your audience.
Give them what they want.
All the time.
Other awesome takeaways I’d love to see implemented at Daxko:
- Make cardboard cutouts of your buyer personas and display them throughout your workspace.
- Think of recurring tweets like columns in a magazine or newspaper. Rickshaw Bags in San Francisco tweets a picture of every new bag that comes off the conveyor belt. For Daxko, we tweet a picture every time we add to the Daxko Nation.
- Provide pre-written “Tweet this” blurbs in your blog posts—140 characters or less, but of course!—if you want to really generate interest around content. Let’s see if it works:
Tweet this–> Marketing leaders speak Daxko-style. Check out some tips at the Daxko Nation: http://bit.ly/eOgS0x (via @Daxko) #df10